The Metropolitan District of Quito and Quito Metro announced on October 27 the selection of a consortium of Acciona (Spain) and Odebrecht (Brazil) as preferred bidder for the $US 1.54bn main construction contract for the first metro line in the Ecuadorian capital.
The Phase 2 contract will be signed within 60 days and it covers the construction of 22.5 km of tunnels from the bus terminal at Quitumbe in the south of the city to El Labrador in the North, 13 of the 15 stations on the 22.5km line, electrical and mechanical systems and depot and stabling facilities. Quito Metro says the consortium was selected because it submitted the lowest-priced bid that was fully compliant with the technical specification..
The work is expected to take 36 months to be completed.
The Phase 1 contract, which covers construction of El Labrador and La Magdalena stations, was awarded to Acciona in 2012, and tendering began last year for a contract to supply 18 six-car trains and four maintenance vehicles.
The total cost of building Quito’s first metro line has been budgeted at US$2bn, including Phase 1 covering the stations at El Labrador and La Magdalena as well as the rolling stocks. The municipality is providing 63% of the cost and the national government 37% with financing from international institutions including the Development Bank of Latin America (CAF) the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB), the World Bank, and the European Investment Bank (EIB)..
‘Today is a great day for the citizens of Quito, as with this contract award we are taking a decisive step to turn the Quito metro project into reality’, said Mayor of Quito Mauricio Rodas. ‘This is the largest infrastructure project in the history of Quito’.